Join the Cornell Club of Boston and the Cornell Club of New Hampshire as we explore Appledore Island, the site of Shoals Marine Laboratory, operated by Cornell and the University of New Hampshire.
Sunday, June 21
Saturday, June 20
- 9:00 am: Depart scenic Portsmouth, NH and enjoy a hour-long boat ride out to the islands. Bring a towel or folding chair to sit on, the boat has an open deck and few seats.
- ~10:15 am: Once arriving at Appledore we will learn about the history of the island and the history of the laboratory.
- 12:30 pm: Lunch is served
- There will be time to tour the buildings, including classrooms, laboratories, and dormitories. Also prominent on the island is Celia Thaxter's garden. Celia Thaxter was well regarded for hosting social events promoting artists at her summer house on Appledore Island.
- 4:00 pm: People returning to Portsmouth on Saturday will depart Appledore Island, arriving back in Portsmouth by 5:15 pm.
- 6:00 pm: People staying overnight will have dinner.
- After dinner, a few short films about the island and the research conducted there will be shown.
- 10:00 am: Brunch served
- There will be some time to explore the intertidal zone, and perhaps use the lab.
- 2:00 pm: Departure from Appledore Island
- Comfortable walking shoes for uneven terrain
- Hat / Sunglasses / Sunscreen
- Water bottle
Note: This event is not recommended for children.
Saturday, June 20, 2015
315 Market Street
Shoals Marine Lab:
Appledore Island, NH
$246 per person for the overnight trip
$86 per person for the day trip
If you have any questions about this event, please contact Katie Burns at firstname.lastname@example.org.